Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Day at the Fair

One day while I was driving I started thinking about things that kids have to experience. I realized that my kids had never had cotton candy. Where do you get cotton candy? The fair of course! The last time I went to the county fair, I was 18 years old. We decided to make it happen this year. RJ even entered his beets. He assumed his would be the only beets entered and planned on taking home the grand prize of $3. Jeramie, Becky, Kaleigh, and Olivia let us tag along with them and their free Good Samaritan passes.


I bought the kids cotton candy to nosh on while we waited for the "Jest in Time" clown act. To my utter surprise, McKenna did not like it! RJ balled it up and she ate some condensed cotton candy but that was it.

It turned out that Hunter wasn't a huge fan either. Kaleigh ate most of his and had a blue stained face.
Unfortunetly, I liked the clown show as much as they liked the cotton candy.
While we were walking around, we saw a table with a sign-up sheet for mutton-bustin'. There was one free spot left and RJ was contemplating signing Hunter up. I tried to imagine Hunter going through with it and thought he would chicken out. I didn't want to take someone elses spot so we stepped aside and Kaleigh signed up. Of course Hunter cursed me for the next 15 minutes so we wandered back to see if they would squeeze him in. We felt grateful when they said yes. That feeling of gratitude eventually left when I saw the first kid bolt out of the gate. He was maybe 1-2 years older than Hunter and had all of the necessary cowboy gear on- boots, chaps, buckle, a plaid shirt, vest and of course, a hat. That sheep flew out of the gate and almost rolled over the poor cowboy. I started to hope that Hunter would chicken out. I was scared when they called his number. My little city slicker son was going to try his luck with those angry, old sheep.
Some kids barely made it out of the gate so I was surprised when through my action shooting camera, I saw red for several clicks.

I heard people cheering and then he was off.

I looked over at Becky to find out how it went.

"He got stepped on," she said. The announcer pulled him over to ask if he had fun and he hesitantly muttered "yeah." "Would you do it again?" They followed up. He shook his head no. I was glad that he wasn't crying and figured he musn't have gotten hurt. Poor Kaleigh went next and didn't have any better luck. She hit the gate on the way out and cried heartily. When we met up with them, he had a scratch on his upper thigh and RJ said the sheep stepped on his groin. I told RJ to check it out when he took him to the bathroom. He said all was well. We will be grandparents someday!

We bought them some tickets to go on the rides. McKenna loved this little dragon swing. Hunter wanted to go on it after McKenna but I told him to go on the big one.

He was two inches too short but they let him on with Jeramie in the middle of him and Kaleigh. He had a death grip on the bar and looked nervous. When it started, his face turned from nervous to outright terrified. We wondered if he was going to puke or cry. We saw him mouth, "get me off." He survived without crying but I felt aweful for convincing him to go. He had a much better time on tilt-a-whirl.

McKenna had fun on the carousel. It was three dollars for the silly ride so I thought (as I saw them walking towards it), she better at least pick the pretty dragon. To my delight, she picked the best looking animal on the carousel- the dragon.
We had a great time. Thanks Jeramie and Becky!

No comments:

Post a Comment