Thursday, July 1, 2010

The much anticipated half-marathon!

When Dave and Mila Newcomb were concluding their visit with us in December, we had a conversation about goals as we approached the airport. Dave challenged me to run a half-marathon by July 1st. I hesitated since I am not one who loves running. I knew it would be a challenge but that I could do it. I enlisted Theresa to run with me. It was something she had talked about doing before but hadn't gotten around to. I figured it would be more fun to do together. I started excercising more to prepare my body for the 12 week training schedule. I found out that I was pregnant on March 1st. My OB gave me the green light to go ahead with my goal. It was a long and hard process especially when I was feeling sick and tired but every time I finished my training (whether it was 3 miles or 10), I felt a sense of accomplishment and was proud of myself. I couldn't have done it without RJ who happily took the kids while I ran and who bought me a treadmill. Thanks dear, you're the best. Hunter was really supportive also. He often ran 1 of the miles with me.

We drove out to Bend on Friday, June 25th and stayed at Chuck's dad's house. I didn't hardly sleep the two nights before our big race but I had adrenaline on my side.



We bought matching outfits and Chuck coordinated our music so we were running to the same beat.
We woke up and drove to Sun River to register and be there for the pre-race instructions. When we got there, we realized that I had the keys to the van which was supposed to be Chuck, RJ's and the kids transportation. That was the first kink in a day full of unusual events. Chuck was able to drive out and get the keys but we didn't see them at take-off and thought it would be near impossible for them to find us along the course of the trail.
Our master plan was to run 3 miles then walk 1 mile. There were more hills than we had trained for and though we were shivering when we first got there, it started to heat up fast. After the first 3 miles, I realized I had to use the bathroom. There was a line at the outhouse, so I figured I would survive during our walk to the next one. There was a long line there as well. I knew I couldn't start running with my full bladder so we decided to wait it out. I drank the heed beverage they provided (similar to gaterade) and started to feel sick. I wondered if it was the drink. I got hot and felt dizzy. The words on the porta-potty got blurry and the next thing I knew, I was leaning against a tree with my head and surrounded by about 4 women telling me to take a drink. Apparently I fainted and according to witnesses it was pretty graceful. I felt instantly better. Everything became clear again and I felt fine. I was affraid of losing my place in line so I scooted forward on my butt. I decided from that point on, I would have to drink water or heed at each station (every mile) and keep myself cool by splashing myself with water. We continued according to plan and I felt fine aside from being mentally thrown off my game.
Theresa said she thought she spotted Chuck but then he disappeard.

I saw RJ's pink shirt and even though we were in our walking mile (7), we decided to run to heighten the excitement of the moment.

It was so fun to see the kids standing there with their signs and cheering "Go mommy!" We gave them high fives and kisses and kept going. I was hoping that since they found us, they would be able to track us and see us a few more times but I guess there was some confusion and we didn't meet up again until the finish line.

RJ and Chuck helped the kids make signs the night before.

I guess RJ wanted to do more but his plans didn't fully work out. I was just happy and grateful for all their efforts. It was a long morning for the kids.

They waited and...

waited.
I got some woman power support and was even told I was a legend. Apparently people that we passed had talked about me. I'm not sure if I was famous for fainting or simply doing the race pregnant?
Our bodies were both pretty tired when it came down to the last mile. I took some deep breaths and told myself it was just one little mile and that our precious fans were waiting for us at the end. There were crowds of people lined up along the finish line cheering and clapping. I turned my music off and felt a sudden surge of emotion. It was so strong that I almost cried. We ended up finishing in 3 hours and 5 minutes.
I was a little nervous about what would happen when I stopped moving this time but I loaded myself up with a disgusting muscle milk drink that was 50% protein and found a place to sit in the shade. Unfortunately, that muscle milk made Theresa puke.

We got medals, hand towells and long sleeved shirts.

Here is the only evidence of my fall.

My great family! Thanks for being there on a day that meant a lot to me.

It was almost like a carnival afterward. They had all kinds of booths set up and there were some free bounce houses for the kids to play in.
We went to a place called Pilot Butte for lunch (they have awesome burgers). I felt the baby move and felt reassured. Unfortunately, our celbrating didn't last long. On our way back to Chuck's dad's house on the "back roads" we had an accident. We were going about 25 mph and all of sudden a 7 year old on a bike crossed the street in front of us at a crosswalk. RJ tried to stop but we knew there wasn't enough time. RJ jumped out of the car and called 911. The boy was talking and didn't look injured but the ambulance took him away on a stretcher just in case. We called the hospital the next day and he was released the same day he was admitted. The news reported that he didn't have any major injuries for which we were so grateful. However, they did make it sound like it was RJ's fault and that the boy was waiting and watching at the crosswalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment