Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Bedroom Makeover for $40

When I was cleaning out Hunter’s room in preparation for baby Reeve, I decided that we either needed to put the giant mirror up somewhere or get rid of it.  My first thought was to put it behind the toy chest in the girl’s room.  Because McKenna and Reagan both love the Little Mermaid, I thought it would be cute to turn the white toy chest into a treasure  chest.  The juices started to flow after that.

Before:

DSC_0324

After:

The girls helped me color characters from the Little Mermaid like Scuttle, Sebastian and Flounder.  We laminated them and hung them with fishing line.  I also hung starfish, green algae looking yarn and air bubbles from the ceiling.  I used RJ’s Halloween trident above the window and got a large fishing net from Michael’s for half off.  I swapped the kids’ lamps because Hunter’s was blue and I put blue light bulbs in to give an under the sea feel.

DSC_0388

Before:

DSC_0325

After:

I repainted McKenna’s name and bought some wooden letters for Reagan.  Then I dipped them in sand.  I put their Halloween Mermaid crowns on the corners of the mirror but was most pleased with the toy chest turned treasure chest.  I spray painted it brown, put some hardware on, used black duct tape and gold push pins for studs.

DSC_0386

I painted this frame, covered it with sand, flowers and shells, and printed off this collage of the girls in their mermaid costumes.

DSC_0385

Reagan and McKenna helped me turn these coffee filters into colorful looking shells and I randomly taped them to the wall around the closet on top of the seaweed strung yarn.

DSC_0387

It was a ton of fun and kept my mind busy through my last month of pregnancy.  I hope my little princesses feel like royalty under the sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment