Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Ragnar

 

Terra Hyatt dropped off a feather at my house in May inviting me to join her in an all girls ragnar team.  I was about 9 weeks pregnant at the time and knew I would be 24 weeks the weekend of the race.  I had determined after miscarrying that I would not postpone my life.  I would continue setting goals, staying active and making plans unless it was considered harmful to the baby.  Besides, if all went well I knew I could still run 11.9 miles pregnant.  I had done it before with Reagan.  I definetly felt 4 years older this time!  I was also quite a bit bigger.  It seems my uterus knew exactly what to do blew up like a blimp over night.

To help us train, Terra put together several group runs at different times of the day.  I missed the first one which was between thunder storms but attended the 4 am run after only two hours of sleep and before flying to Utah for the Reeve reunion.  We ran through fields and gravel roads then ate breakfast together.  Our second group run was at Anita’s cabin.  We left just after 10 pm and did any where from 3-6 miles.  I ended up doing almost 4.

So much work went into pulling this team together and we had such a great time.  The Elhert’s were instrumental in making it happen.  Half of us went up Thursday morning to volunteer.  We sent up the start line, booths and shops.  Anita, Lisa and I shared a room.  We were responsible in getting to bed early but no one slept great and we were up by 3:30 a.m. to get to the start line. 

DSC_0598

I was in van 1 the whole time but we did switch up half the crew half way through.  It was fun to be with everyone (almost).  Lisa kicked us off as runner 1.  She was a trooper.  She joined us about 3 weeks prior to the race since two women dropped out.  She had recently finished the Wasatch Back.  I was runner 3 and had 5.3 mile, 3.5 and 3.1 mile legs.  My original goal was to pass (kill) one person.  After my first two legs, I told myself it was a tall order.  By the time we got to our last leg, people were exhausted and or injured.  I ended up passing three people!

We showered and spent the night in a high school gym with about 150 other people. It was hard for me to get comfortable and I thought I would never sleep but I must have dosed at some point.  It took me 2 days to catch up though.

0815142020a[1]

0816141010c[1]

I am really proud of myself for sticking with training and making myself do something hard.  I love to challenge myself, push others and be with friends.  What a perfect combo ragnar is!

After we crossed the finish line, we enjoyed pizza, medals and pictures.  Kenny Elhert also bought each member of our 12 woman team and awesome ragnar jacket!  I can’t wait to wear mine.  It will remind me of some good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment