Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Camping with the Rowley’s

Cheryl mentioned wanting to go camping this summer and asked if we wanted to join.  We found this place not far from home and got it for two nights.  We went up Thursday and stayed for the evening then came home so RJ could go to work on Friday.  He surprised us and got home early so we could set up camp, play at the playground (including a very non-competitive game of volleyball), and walk down to the dock for some fishing.

RJ got a fire going that first night and Cheryl made meatball subs and cheesy fries.

DSC_0001DSC_0002DSC_0003DSC_0004DSC_0006

DSC_0007

McKenna LOVED holding Sterling!

DSC_0009DSC_0010DSC_0012DSC_0014

We roasted more marshmallows than should be allowed.

We were in charge of dinner the second night.  I packed up everything needed for peach cobbler and white chicken chili.  RJ did the cooking with the dutch ovens.  It was delicious.

DSC_0016

The kids were excited to fish so we took a stroll down to the fishing dock.  RJ was VERY patient!  No one got a bite.

DSC_0017DSC_0019DSC_0020DSC_0021

DSC_0024DSC_0025DSC_0027

Hunter had a great cast and was patient but still didn’t luck out.

DSC_0029

McKenna’s bait came off with about every cast.  RJ never complained.

DSC_0030DSC_0032

DSC_0036DSC_0037DSC_0041

I took the Rowley boys and Reagan back with me and Will spotted this big toad.

We had a great time chatting and snacking but the fun ended with an exclamation point when it was time to go to bed.  The Rowley’s were so tired from a poor night’s sleep the night before that they were all out in minutes without a peep.  Hunter, McKenna and Reagan were all bickering or wrestling over something.  Finally we moved McKenna and she moaned and groaned so much I finally went and laid by her.  I sang her about 15 primary/church songs and wondered if I would ever get her or myself to sleep.  It was a hot and sticky night.  When she was quiet, I snuck into bed (queen size blow up mattress that had been jumped on by one too many children and sagged in the middle bringing RJ and I face to face).  It took me a long time to finally fall asleep when McKenna got up at what Cheryl later verified as 3 am.  I thought she was cold so I put her blanket on but instead she had to go potty.  After the potty trip, I couldn’t sleep again until the sun almost came up.  I wondered why people go camping of their own free will and choice?  Why spend hours preparing food, clothing, bug spray, activities to keep from getting bored, cooking utensils, lawn chairs, and anything else you can think of to fill your van to brimming then head out into the wilderness and get a horrible nights sleep all in the name of fun?  My only consolation is that the kids have fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment