Sunday, September 21, 2014

Coming of Age

For her birthday, McKenna said she wanted to get her ears pierced.  I told her that her allotted birthday money from us has been spent but if she could pay for it, she could do it.  She received $17 in gifts.  We made some calls and found out that the cheapest studs are $20 but not recommended for first time piercing.  Since you don’t know if you are allergic to metals, they suggest purchasing the 14 K gold studs for newbies.  The cost for those start at $45.  I told McKenna she could save but she decided to spend what she had on a stuffed animal (much to my discouragement).  I figured the piercing conversation was over for a while.

One week later, she sold her doll house on Craigslist for $40 and I was determined that she wouldn’t run off and waste it on trinkets and clutter so I told her she would have to wait two months to spend it.

When she got home from school on Monday, she said “I have $42 mom.  Can I get my ears pierced?”  I decided I would much rather her spend the money on something that lasted and would not end up at Goodwill in two years so I said “sure". 

Hunter did not want to have to witness the piercing, so he stayed home.  I told McKenna she could back out any minute until they pierced one ear.  I could tell she was nervous and Reagan and I felt nervous for her.  A young girl had me fill out paper work while McKenna chose her studs.  I knew from a previous call that if I wanted McKenna to get both ears done at once, the owner and a trainee could do it but it was not recommended since they both had different perceptions and angles.  I was terrified that the young girl was the one in training and did not want her practicing on my daughter.  I decided I would have to be assertive and request that the manager do it.  So, I did.  McKenna said she looked scary with her dark hair, wonky teeth and piercings but from the way that she spoke to McKenna, I could tell that she knew what she was doing and felt a lot better.  She asked if McKenna would like both ears done at the same time and McKenna said, “no” and promised to be brave.  She winced after each piercing but I was very proud of her sitting so still.  We decided not to tell daddy since he was out of town until Friday.  It was a hard secret to keep in.

0915141635[1]

0915141649[1]

0915141704[1]

DSC_0119DSC_0121

Now she is asking for some high heeled shoes!  She’s growing up too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment