Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ragnar Relay

In May, two of my volleyball friends asked if I would be interested in running the Great River Ragnar (Winona Wisconsin to Minneapolis) with them.  I don’t love running and I already had three races on my agenda so I dragged my feet.  Terra called me about two weeks later and said she would do the Maple Grove triathlon with me if I did this with her.  My other hurdle was the cost.  I calculated that if I gave up my personal money of $20 each month I could just about cover the cost.  I talked to RJ and he supported me whole heartedly so I gave my word.  I worried all summer about over heating, awkward moments in the van and sleep deprivation but it was a big waste of worrying.  I had a great time and would do it again!  We rented a van (lucking out with an upgrade) and drove out late Thursday night.  We got up early and enjoyed a free pancake breakfast from Perkins.  We underestimated the amount of time it would take us to get to the starting line for packet pickup and safety instruction.  Poor Terra literally had to run down the stairs and was at the tail end of the pack as they took off without her.  In fact, we were in such a hurry that we forgot to give her the slap handoff bracelet.  Twenty minutes into the race and we had already violated 3 rules (grounds for elimination).
Things went by so fast as everyone else ran.  I was runner 4.  My first leg was around 9 a.m. and was 6.6 miles.  I finished a few minutes under the time I expected which was pleasing.  Here I am at my first exchange.
 
We found a Subway for lunch, changed clothes and hung out for a while at the major exchange.  I got to read, take a short nap, decorate he van with lights, and take pictures with my new tattoo.  “This is more relaxing than my day to day life” I thought.            DSCN5445(Amber, Katie, Terra, Me, Jacki, Bruce- Jackie’s husband of 21 years to the day!)
My second leg was 3.5 miles and I just  missed the cut off for not having to wear the night gear.  Here I am with my head lamp reflective vest and butt light.
DSCN5446
I finally made a “kill” on my second leg but I shouldn’t celebrate since it was a woman in her late 50’s.  I quite enjoyed running in the evening with the cool quiet night.  We arrived at the major exchange a little before midnight and were due to run again about four hours later.  I tried to sleep on the seat of the van which was quite spacious and comfy but I kept worrying about being a bench hog. I offered my seat to all the girls at different intervals but they all declined so I finally fell asleep around 1 a.m.  Terra came knocking on the back of the van at about 3:30 a.m. to get prepped for her next leg.
We were all feeling the soreness overtaking our legs and tiredness our brains.  I kept telling myself that at least my last leg of 5 miles was classified “easy” meaning it would be downhill or flat the whole way.  It wasn’t long before I realized that there was a mistake in the ragnar bible.  My only goal was to run the whole way and my determination was tested as I ran at least a mile straight up hill.  I felt good as I enjoyed my reward of going down until I saw my next hill.  It was a killer but I passed three legitimate runners and finished strong.
DSCN5447
Here we are (van 1) having completed our legs.
 
We met van two at the finish which was anti-climatic since we were starving, hot and had already been home.  It was an enjoyable experience and I’m grateful to have been able to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment