Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Camping Nightmare

Some young families in the ward invited us to go camping with them. We got rained out of our first reservation and rescheduled for the second weekend in September. I was really looking forward to it. I admit though that I wasn't on top of my game and failed in many of the preparations.


RJ's intention was to get home early but that didn't work out. We loaded up as soon as we could and stopped by Target on the way to pick up an adapter to blow up our air mattress as wells as several gallons of juice for the morning. We started driving around and realized that we didn't get directions to the camp ground. Thankfully we were within 5 miles of home so we went back to call people and look online. The kids screamed and cried every second of the way. We decided to just cook their dogs in the microwave and let them eat at the table. After numerous phone calls, we finally got an answer and headed off again. It was getting dark when we started setting up the tent and Reagan was tired and hungry. When RJ went to blow up the mattress, he came back with bad news. We didn't bring the pump! We also left the propane for the lamp at home. We got Reagan down and decided to roast marshmellows.






RJ really wanted to make it fun for the kids. He's such a good dad. That's why the kids hang on him every second that he is home.

RJ went to put McKenna down and so did all the other parents. Hunter and I played a made up game of dragon something with Pokemon cards. Around 9:30 p.m. I figured that we might as well hit the sack. McKenna wouldn't be quiet which made Hunter want to move away from her. We relocated his bed 3 feet further. Of course, McKenna then wanted to move too and went about voicing her desire by screaming and waking Reagan up. I put Reagan between me and RJ and McKenna on the other side of me. I hardly had any blankets and new it would be in the 40's during the night. Reagan was squaking and McKenna was touching my face with her frozen hands saying, "where's Reagan?" I asked myself, "why stay here, get driven crazy by McKenna, freeze, and get a horrible night's rest?" When I reached my breaking point, I said toodle-lou. I asked if anyone else wanted to come but they stuck it out like good little campers. I had an 8 a.m. volleyball game the next morning so I dropped Reagan off with RJ and picked them all up afterward. We learned a valuable lesson- say no thank you next year (that's if they invite us. We didn't even socialize because we got in late and everyone left bright and early).

1 comment:

  1. read this post and laughed and laughed. then i thought of this blog post. thought you'd find it funny too. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/08/14/128-camping/

    ReplyDelete