Sunday, August 29, 2010

McKenna's first "real" haircut

I trimmed McKenna's bangs about one year ago but haven't ever taken anything off of the length. RJ loves her long hair and didn't want me to cut it. I love her long locks too but it was a fight to brush her hair and it was getting close to that line where hair goes from beautiful to drab. The ends were dead and I convinced RJ to allow it to be cut. I don't know that he agreed to let me do it but I wasn't about to spend $20 on a child's haircut.

She was excited the morning I told her we were going to cut her hair. She brought out the clippers (that I use on Hunter) and the cape. She climbed up on the stool and sat more still than I have ever seen her sit. I was happy that she was enthused. I put a rubber band in her hair so that I could keep her little pony in her baby book. When I tried pulling the rubber band down so as not to cut off too much, she screamed and wiggled because it was pulling on her hair. I stopped and decided to cut it off where it was.
"Before"

"After"
She saw her curly pony tail sitting on the counter and said, "mommy, put my pony back on." I tried to explain that I couldn't. I tried to cheer her up with compliments and Hunter joined in. She was not having any of it. She was mad.


Nasty glare
She cried and I had to cuddle her on the couch with her pink blanket for quite a while before we could move on with our day. I had no idea that it would be such a tramatic experience for her.

2 comments: