Sunday, May 30, 2010

Silver Falls Hike

When RJ and I were dating, one of my health teachers offered extra credit for hiking the Y. I told RJ and he agreed to go with me (amazingly neither of us had done it in the four years we had attended BYU). We huffed and puffed but didn't dare slow down in order to impress the other with our fitness level. When we reached the top, RJ had suprised me with a little picnic lunch of PBJ's and grapes. We knew then that we weren't hikers but every few years we do some kind of hike to reaffirm that fact. One of our (Christmas) dates that I planned for the month of May was to hike Silver Falls. I arranged for a babysitter and we took off like intrepid explorers with an expansion of or original lunch- PBJ, grapes, yellow peppers, water or gaterade, chips and hostess cupcakes (I obviously took care of the picnic this time).

Fall #1 The tallest

Fall #2

We kissed in front of each waterfall but I have spared you some of the action and only included 3 kissing shots.

Some of the falls were such that you could walk behind them. Here's a picture from the side of #2.

Fall #3

Fall #4 "Double Falls"

Originally some friends were going to join us but weren't able to make it. I flip flopped in my mind of whether or not we should still go. I was anxious about walking in silence for hours. Though it would have been fun to have had company, we had a great time laughing and visiting the whole way.

It was quite cold when we arrived. I would have zipped my jacket up over my face had the zipper continued. Here we are about ready for lunch.

Fall #5


Fall #6
There weren't many benches along the way so we shared a small wet beside this waterfall to eat our lunch.

RJ's wandering eyes

Fall #8

Fall #9
This fall was probably my favorite. I could here it way before we got there. When we walked underneath (behind) it, it sounded like an airplane flying overhead. The water pressure was high because the opening was so small. There was a big pointy rock that the waterfall was beating against.

Fall #10

Fall #7
This waterfall was a small detour on the way around our loop. That's why it is out of order. We just took a picture from the origination of the fall.

I was so proud of us for finishing the 8.7 mile loop and look, we're still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment