Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hunter’s Baptism

I wanted Hunter’s baptism to take precedence over his friend party so we planned it for the day after he turned 8 (December 15th, 2012).  It felt very surreal to plan my own son’s  baptism.  I remember attending my nieces and nephews and wondered what it would be like when the day came for Hunter to be baptized.  Hunter chose who he wanted to do what and made the phone calls to ask.

RJ was in deep thought that morning as we got ready to go.  Brother Heroux conducted the meeting (as the ward mission leader).  Bishop Dubois (recently released bishop) offered the opening prayer.  Cheryl Rowley lead us in singing “Baptism.”  Brother Brown spoke on baptism.  RJ performed the ordinance (after doubling checking on the verbiage) and bishop Miller and Brother Brown acted as witnesses.  It was such a short act with lasting consequences.  While Hunter and RJ were changing, we passed paper and pens around to share our testimonies or memories of that day with Hunter to help him remember and stay true.  Karin Tew (my second counselor) sang “Come Thou Fount” (Hunter’s favorite song) when they returned.  It was beautiful and I struggled to keep my wits about me.  When Becky Heroux (Hunter’s CTR 7 teacher and my visiting teacher) got up and said how much she loves Hunter, I stopped fighting it and let my emotions run where they may.  RJ confirmed him a member of the church and bestowed the gift of the Holy Ghost on him.  My first counselor, Lynette Kochenderfer did the primary welcome and Bishop Miller did the ward welcome.  We closed the meeting by singing “I Am a Child of God” and Paul Rowley gave the closing prayer.  Cheryl and Lisa made treats for which I was so grateful.  It was a beautiful and simple program.  We recorded specific details in the little notebook that we gave to him.

DSCN5737DSCN5739DSCN5741DSCN5743DSCN5745DSCN5749DSCN5751DSCN5752DSCN5754

Reagan and Adam enjoying Cheryl’s cupcakes.

DSCN5757DSCN5758

Grandma and grandpa Morrison always give their baptized grandchildren a watch to remind them that they are now accountable for what they do with their time on this earth.  Hunter was so excited, he asked me if I knew what time it was every 5 minutes then proceeded to tell me.

DSCN5759

The Rolfs could not come to the baptism but they gave Hunter a note and a Hershey’s bar.

DSCN5760

Grandma and grandpa Reeve bought Hunter his first scouting shirt.  He is so excited to be in cub scouts with RJ as his den leader.

DSCN5762

The next morning, Hunter asked if it was Sunday.  I told him it was and he gave out a surprising “yahoo!  I’m excited to go to church today.”  Wow.  He really is a new creature I thought!  He has taken things more seriously and has been more reverent at church.  We are grateful for the wonderful example he has set for his sisters.  We know that he has made the right choice but it is only the beginning.  We hope to be blessed to see him continue on this path that he has embarked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment