Friday, May 18, 2012

Hot Trotters

I wanted to find a race to help me stay motivated to keep exercising when I stumbled upon a half marathon relay.  I thought it would be perfect for RJ and I.  It was a race we could do together at our own pace.  I had to pick a team name and chose "The Hot Trotters."  RJ said that it made him think about pigs.  I instantly regretted the name but we kept it anyway. 

RJ is not a fan of running so I give him major bonus points for agreeing to participate in and fund this run.  We ran a few times a week but didn't follow a strict training program so though we finished, our bodies sure felt their age.

Getting our stretch on
There were three different races going on that morning (half marathon, half marathon relay and a 5 K).  RJ and I watched the half marathoner's take off.  Since I was running the second half of the leg, I had to check in at the flag pole for the bus ride to the transition area.  The woman in charge told us to head to the parking lot to load up.  "Don't we get to watch our partner start?"  I asked with my camera at the ready.  "They left 10 minutes ago."  She said.  My heart sank as my eyes darted around looking for RJ mingled with the 5 K-ers getting ready to start (from a different start line).  I didn't want to miss my bus and I knew RJ would figure it out.  I felt sick the whole morning though.  RJ noticed there was a difference in the color of the number on his bib.  He started running and asked someone which signs to follow.  He saw a man moving the arrows pointing the way and told him to wait.  The man said that he was following the runners and the last person was in front of him.  RJ corrected the man and assured him that he was the last person.  He ran hard to catch up and got blisters on both of his feet.  I didn't know if he would be angry when he saw me for making him do this or relieved that it was over.

I'll say....relieved. 
I'm proud of him for running the longest distance he ever has (6.2 miles).  He gave me his timing chip from around his ankle and gave me an encouraging "have fun."  I had feminine issues that kept my mind preoccupied for 6.9 miles.  The fun part was that nobody passed me.  I was the one in the "left lane."
Here I am after my sprint finish.  The sad thing is that I don't know what our time was.  I know it was under 2 hours and 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment