Monday, February 21, 2011

The Winter's Tale

On friday, February 11th, RJ and I went to see Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale." I wish I had pictures to document it but I don't. I read the play previous to our attendance which helped me understand and enjoy the performance more. It was fun to do something different than the usual red box date. My mom would be proud of me for becoming a more culturally well rounded person. Growing up, I was only into sports and she always said I had no culture because I didn't appreciate "the arts."

The overview of the play said that it was a romantic comedy. However, the play is based on a kings belief that his wife is having an affair. His sickly son dies. Upon hearing the news of her sons' death, the wife likewise dies. Assuming his new baby girl is not really his, the king has one of his lords leave her for dead in the wilderness. On his journey home, he is ripped apart by a bear. The girl survives! She is raised by a farmer, grows up and falls in love. She returns to the king with her love, he bids them well, his wife is resurrected and most of them live happily ever after. The end.

RJ and I had fun even if we were making fun (of some of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment