Thursday, November 5, 2009

A proud day in the Reeve household

RJ told me that he signed up to bring chili for the chili cook-off at the ward fall festival.
I racked my brain trying to think of a chili recipe that would lead him to victory. "I'm going to make Santa Fe Soup," he said. I told him that because it wasn't chili it probably wouldn't even be in entered into the contest. "It's better than chili and it's going to win." He replied in total confidence.

There were probably ten different chili pots there. They announced second place and gave a prize for something else then continued, "and the best chili overall was..." I watched a sister walk toward our crockpot, "number 3." "RJ, that's you" I had to repeat 2-3 times. "Oh" he says as he stands up to accept his prize- a bowl with pinto beans spray painted gold!

One of the judges came up to me and said there was some good and some really bad chili but there was just something different about RJ's.

Some people asked me for the recipe. Many people asked me if I helped him make it. I wanted to say, "Yeah, I got all the cans out and browned the hamburger. He opened them."

No comments:

Post a Comment